Entire territory Home / Flavours / Typical products / "Colli di Scandiano e di Canossa" Wines in Scandiano

"Colli di Scandiano e di Canossa" Wines

The "Colli di Scandiano e di Canossa" Wine is manufactured through various types, such as Bianco di Classico, Malvasia, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Lambrusco Grasparossa, Marzemino and Sauvignon.

 

Operational headquarters of the Consorzio
Via Crispi, 3
Phone 0039 0522 7965655
info@collidiscandianoecanossa.com 
Colli di Scandiano e Canossa

Type

A balanced sweet/semi-sweet taste, it is produced in slightly fizzy and sparkling types.
Typical Production Area:
According to the regulations approved by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture with the decree of 31 July 2000, the grapes destined for production of wines with the controlled denomination of origin "Colli di Scandiano e di Canossa" must be produced in the zone that includes the administrative territories of the following municipalities of the Province of Reggio Emilia: Albinea, Quattro Castella, Bibbiano, Montecchio, San Polo d'Enza, Canossa, Vezzano sul Crostolo, Viano, Scandiano, Castellarano and Casalgrande, and part of the administrative territory of the municipalities of Reggio Emilia, Casina, Sant'Ilario d'Enza, and Cavriago. The grapes destined for production of wine with the controlled denomination of origin "Colli di Scandiano e di Canossa Bianco" with the "Classico" mention must be produced in the most traditional zones including the following municipal territories: all of the municipality of Albinea, and part of those of Viano, Scandiano, Casalgrande, Castellarano, and Reggio Emilia.


This increasing approval is based on the characteristics of Flavour and Bouquet of the wines themselves wich are perfect accompaniments to Nouvelle Cuisine ad well as to the new expressions of traditional and regional cuisine, The dry, sparkling, and spumante wines are excellent as aperitifs, and in the sparkling version a perfect accompaniment for light meals with delicate preparation styles. In the semi-sweet or sweet versions, the whites are ideal as dessert wines, paticularly adapted to dry cakes (especially " ciambella, Torta di riso)
The reds are excellent as well, happily accompanying pasta or rice dishes as well as main courses and strong cheeses, while the semi-sweet and sweet reds ar perfect companion for baked desserts and strawberries.

The wines with the denomination "Colli di Scandiano e di Canossa" have a glorious centuries-long tradition. It is almost impossible, however, to trace the exact history of these wines, due to the lack of data, cross-references and documents. Nonetheless, the great prestige of these wines in past centuries is well known.
Just to give a few examples: In the 15th century, the Grand Duchess of Tuscany, wife of Francesco I of the Medici family, noted in a travel diary: "The good wine of Scandiano, fresh and sparkling".
A few centuries later, in the 1800s, Venturi carried out a systematic analysis of the production techniques, the quantity of wine produced, and its placement on the market, and stated that most of the production was destined for foreign countries. He also offered his own evaluation of these wines: "In fragrance, in spirit and flavour, they surpass many other wines made from Rimini to Piacenza, so that foreigners purchase them with pleasure."
In more recent times, the "Colli di Scandiano e di Canossa" wines were supervised and promoted by the Scandiano Enological Society, composed of noble landowners, whose headquarters were in the Boiardo castle. The society worked incessantly to introduce and promote these wines in Italy and abroad. Its promotional activity reached a peak with participation in the World Fairs of Philadelphia (1876) and Paris (1878).
At the same time, an increasing number of people began to show appreciation for these wines, including the great poet Carducci.
Today, the promotional spirit of the Enological Society continues through the commitment and know-how of the Consortium for the Protection of the "Colli di Scandiano e di Canossa" Wines, which was set up by the Chamber of Commerce of Reggio Emilia in 1976.