Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Tourist locations / all files of Scandiano in Scandiano

all files of Scandiano

Boiardo Fortress
The stronghold, first core of the town, was the symbol of political power in Scandiano for eight centuries. The complex includes medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque structures.
Arceto Castle
The castle is mentioned for the first time in a Nonantola charter of 883. It was then given to the Bishops of Reggio Emilia by Emperor Otto I in a charter of 962.
Civic Tower or Clock Tower
Originally it was the entry gate to the old residential district, commissioned by Feltrino Boiardo in the first half of the XV century.
Dondena Bagnoli Castle
The castle was built in the second half of the 19th century and reflects the updated neo-medieval style which was popular at that time. It is privately owned and can be viewed from the outside.
Castello della Torricella
On the hills of Ventoso, a few miles from Scandiano, the Torricella was built after 1335, by the family Da Fogliano. (privatly owned)
Gypsum Castle
Only a few traces remain of the Castello del Gesso (Gypsum Castle), whose name comes from the local presence of this mineral.
Piazza della Libertà
Connected to Piazza Duca d’Aosta by an attractive stairway open at the centre by a balustrade, on the site of the moat of the old castle.
Via Garibaldi
Via Garibaldi follows the course of the old castle moat.
Corso Vallisneri
Corso Vallisneri was planned by Giovanni Boiardo and his son Giulio in the first half of the 16th century.
Piazza Spallanzani
The urban layout of the square dates back to the early XV century. In 1548 Giulio Boiardo began the construction of square Spallanzani (old main square).
Via Cesare Magati
The current Via Cesare Magati, called the Castle at the time, via the clock and via Lazzaro Spallanzani, was three hundred years the main street of Scandiano.
Via Marconi
The street that directly connects Piazzale Castellano with Via Vallisneri (and the façade of the S. Giuseppe Church) is the old Via San Gioseffo, now called Via Marconi.
Piazza Matteo Maria Boiardo
Piazza Matteo Maria Boiardo, once called Piazza Castellana, is the oldest and most attractive square of the town.
Via Crucis
Leaving the Parco della Resistenza and walking northward along a brief section of the road with the pedestrian pavement, you reach a tree-lined path.
Piazza Fiume
Enclosed on all four sides by high buildings, Piazza Fiume opens out within the perimetre of the old castle. It occupies the place where once were the old quarters, demolished in 1915.
Via della Rocca
At the top of Via Garibaldi is Via della Rocca. On the left is the majestic façade of the castle; on the right is an interesting house of the early XVIII-century style (formerly Curti residence).
Jewish Cemetery
It comprises a rectangular area and is surrounded by a wall about two metres high; to the left of the iron gate, a marble stone is situated in the upper part which has the inscription “Cimitero Israelitico” (Jewish Cemetery).
War Memorial
In the Parco della Resistenza (Resistance Park), behind the cinema, you can admire a number of artworks by Italian and foreign artists.
Statue of Lazzaro Spallanzani
The statue dedicated to Lazzaro Spallanzani was unveiled during a ceremony held on 12th November 1888, attended by the local authorities and leading national and international figures from the scientific world.
Bridge over the Tresinaro river
The bridge was opened in 1858 by Duke Francis V and Vincenzo Mattioli, the last mayor of Scandiano to be appointed by the Dukes of the House of Este.

Document Actions