Palazzo Municipale

The original urban establishment dates back to the XVI century. The present layout results from a building intervention that ended in 1912.

Address and contacts

Via Vallisneri - 42019 Scandiano
Phone 0039 0522 764211 - Municipality of Scandiano

Opening times

To visit the palace, contact the mayor’s office.
The visits can take place during the opening times of the town hall, everyday from 08:30 to 13:30. It's possible to vist the staircase, the ground floor and the fresco of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria dated to XVII-XVIII Century

How to get there

Scandiano

By car
from A1 motorway Reggio Emilia exit, take SS467 ring-road towards Scandiano-Sassuolo;
from Modena, take SS486 "Passo delle Radici" road towards Sassuolo, then at Veggia take SS467 road towards Scandiano-Reggio Emilia.

By train
There are local trains for Reggio-Sassuolo which leave from Reggio Emilia Station

By bus
From Piazzale Europa bus n. 46 line Reggio E. - Baiso (Cerredolo) - Carpineti - C. Monti

Historical notes

The front is divided into two levels, separated by lined-up windows, with entablatures on the ground floor and enriched with triangular recesses on the first floor. Its particular architecture is characterized by main entrance, balcony and triangular structure on the central part of the roof.
In the entrance is a central staircase divided in two parts. Among the monochrome painted decorations are coats of arms representing Scandiano and Reggio Emilia, in addition to the ones of the two main families of Boiardo and Da Fogliano. Inside the palace it is possible to admire two valuable frescoes of the XVI century depicting S.Caterina from Alexandria, patron Saint of Scandiano, and six gypsum busts manufactured by sculptor Luigi Mainoni (1804-1853), representing various personalities from Scandiano: M.M. Boiardo, C. Magati, A.Vallisneri senior, Lazzaro Spallanzani.

 

Related content