Church of San Giuseppe

The church was built in the first half of the 16th century outside the castle walls on the site of a small chapel officiated by the Confraternity of St. Joseph.

Address and contacts

Corso Vallisneri - 42019 Scandiano
Phone 0039 0522 857511

How to get there

See the indication to reach Scandiano

Historical notes

The present facade was designed in 1776 by the architect Francesco Iori. The rectangular bell tower, dating to some years prior (1759) is attributed to the architect Bazani of Reggio Emilia. The church has a single nave, with the chapel of the high altar on axis with the façade. Above the altar, an exquisitely executed painting of the marriage of Joseph and Mary dates to 1759 and is attributed to Miselli. One can also admire two fine carving works in the chapel of the Crucifixion: a wooden tabernacle attributed to Cecati and the adornment of the organ by the sculptor Cocconcelli (1704). The latter is considered to be one of the finest Baroque style carvings in the province of Reggio Emilia.