Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Art and culture / Churches, baptisteries / Church of Sant'Eulalia in Sant'Ilario d'Enza

Church of Sant'Eulalia

Although the date of construction of the original church is not known exactly, we know it already existed in 1220, since that is the date when it was first mentioned in the ecumenical register of Pope Onorio III.

Address and contacts

piazza IV Novembre - 42049 Sant'Ilario d'Enza
+39 0522 672210 - Parish of Sant'Ilario d'Enza

Opening times

N.d

How to get there

See the indication to reach Sant'Ilario d'Enza

Historical notes

All that is left of the original church are two column capitals.
The choir, the façade, the internal chapels, and the sacristy were all built in the 18th century and completed in 1775. Further works were undertaken in 1879, when the façade was remodelled.
From the appearance of the capitals we can legitimately presume that, like the present one, the original church had the layout of a basilica. The first mention of the state of the church can be found in the records of the year 1693.
The church has a raised façade with a triangular pediment and arched connecting structures to the sides surmounted by acroterions. The façade is divided into a lower and upper section by a high cornice and is intersected by a sequence of pilaster strips.
The church has one nave and two aisles and has a modern-style, south-facing front. The central nave is fairly high, ending in a well-proportioned choir in the centre of which is an elegant wooden ancon made by the brothers Antonio and Giuseppe Piagnoli from Sant’Ilario. At the end of each aisle is an altar after the style of a basilica. The main liturgical altar is made of different types of marble, with the dominant presence of white marble from Carrara. The frontal has a bas-relief sculpture of the “last Supper” in the style of Leonardo da Vinci, and culminates in a miniature throne. The work is a masterpiece of painstaking and patient workmanship.
Until 1902, on the southern side of the presbytery, there used to be an old medieval tower used as a bell tower which was later demolished, however, due to its structural instability. The new bell tower was constructed in 1914 on a design by the architect Marchese Lamberto Cusani from Parma. It is in Renaissance style, surmounted by a chamber with mullioned windows with two lights, culminating in a spire with balustrades.

Useful links

Holy mass times