Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Tourist locations / San Polo d'Enza in San Polo d'Enza

San Polo d'Enza

The most representative architectural nucleus of San Polo d'Enza is still that of the Castle, the current municipal seat, with the XV-century tower still intact.

Information and contacts

Altitude: 166 m.
Inhabitants: 6,179 (updated to December 31, 2018).
Postal code: 42020.
Weekly market day: Thursday.
Patron Saint: San Paolo (January 25).
Events: Sesto Rocchi Open Chamber Music Festival (late July-early August).
Hamlets: Barcaccia, Grassano, Pontenovo.
Phone 0039 0522 241711 - Municipality
Website Municipality of San Polo d'Enza

How to get there

San Polo d'Enza

By car
From Reggio Emilia: take the Province Road SP9 to Cavriago and Montecchio Emilia, then take the Province SP8 to San Polo d'Enza.

By train
From the Reggio Emilia Railway Station: TPer train Reggio Emilia-Ciano d'Enza.

By bus
From Reggio Emilia, Piazzale Europa: bus No. 48.

 

Location

San Polo d’Enza is located in the Matildic area.

Historical Notes

 

San Polo d'Enza is an important communication centre between the Reggio Emilia and Parma areas and between the plain and the Apennines; its name derives partly from St. Polo, to whom a chapel was dedicated, and partly from the Enza, the river touching the municipality’s borders.
It was inhabited in ancient times, as showed by the important Etruscan settlement of Servirola (around 1 km north of today’s inhabited area) and it is assumed that the town was established by the Etruscans maybe in the V century b.C. The ancient name of San Polo, "Plebs de Caviliano", was first mentioned in a certificate of Emperor Ottone II dated October 14, 980. In 1070 it passed from the Church of Reggio Emilia to the dominion of Marquis Bonifacio di Canossa, then in the subsequent centuries to the Visconti and Este families and, in the XVII century, to the Gherardini family.

San Polo d'Enza is an important communication centre between the Reggio Emilia and Parma areas and between the plain and the Apennines; its name derives partly from St. Polo, to whom a chapel was dedicated, and partly from the Enza, the river touching the municipality’s borders. 
It was inhabited in ancient times, as showed by the important Etruscan settlement of Servirola (around 1 km north of today’s inhabited area) and it is assumed that the town was established by the Etruscans maybe in the V century b.C. The ancient name of San Polo, "Plebs de Caviliano", was first mentioned in a certificate of Emperor Ottone II dated October 14, 980. In 1070 it passed from the Church of Reggio Emilia to the dominion of Marquis Bonifacio di Canossa, then in the subsequent centuries to the Visconti and Este families and, in the XVII century, to the Gherardini family.

 

Not to be missed

The ancient Fortress, built in the XI century, derives from the transformation of the castle into a noble residence; it now hosts the municipal offices and the Museum of the Resistance. Through a medieval entrance to the town centre, it is a spectacular example of the ancient history of the town built around it, on the banks of the Enza river.

In the vicinity

The ancient restored castle, that hosts the Town Hall with a medieval entrance into the village, is a perfect example of the very ancient history of San Polo d’Enza.

In the partly-walled village are the Fallen Giant, modern tribute to the Resistance, and the parish church. On a hill towards Quattro Castella stands the Montefalcone convent, now under restoration, and, in the north of the village, the ancient Caviano parish church.In the hillside area of San Polo d’Enza towards Canossa is the Grassano village, with its traditional stone-shaped houses.

Useful links

Museums in San Polo d'Enza
Churches in San Polo d'Enza
Where to stay in San Polo d'Enza
Where to eat in San Polo d'Enza
All files of San Polo d'Enza