The current appearance of the castle is due to alterations made to the original building to turn it into an aristocratic residence.
Piazza IV novembre, 1

42020 San Polo d'Enza

It now houses the offices of the Municipal Council and the Resistance Museum.

The Comune of Reggio Emilia pulled down the castle in 1199, once the rule of Matilda, Countess of Canossa, had come to a close. In 1633, the ownership of the castle passed to the Gherardini family. The castle was then demolished by the Austrians in 1707 and subsequently rebuilt by the Gherardinis at the end of the 18th century. The interior, a cross-vaulted hall, dates back to the 18th century.

0039/522/241711 - Municipality

Geographic Area
Lands of Matilda, Countess of Canossa

Weekday Opening Times
upon reservation only

Entrance Charge
free entrance