Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Tourist locations / San Martino in Rio in San Martino in Rio

San Martino in Rio

The town of San Martino in Rio is situated in the northeastern plains of the Province of Reggio Emilia, 15 km. from the town of Reggio Emilia

Information and contacts

Altitude: 36 m
Inhabitants: 8106 update to December 31, 2018
Post code: 42018
Patron: San Martino (11 November)
Hamlets: Gazzata, Stiolo, and Trignano
Weekly market day: Saturday
+39 0522.636711 Municipality
Municipality of San Martino in Rio

How to get there

By car:
when coming from Reggio Emilia (15 km), take National Road SS 468 travelling in the direction of Correggio. At Fazzano, take the Provincial Road (SP) and follow signs to San Martino in Rio. From the exit Carpi of the A22 motor-way (8 km), follow the signs to San Martino in Rio.
By bus:
Extraurban SETA bus 3B41

Historical notes

The territory of San Martino in Rio was covered by swampland and forests in ancient times. The earliest written records in which the town's patron saint, San Martino di Tours, and the castle are mentioned, date back to the first half of the 11th century. In 1115 the territory, which belonged to the Canossa family at the time, was given in fief to the noble Roberti da Tripoli family from Reggio, who ruled over it until 1430, when they were run out of the area by Nicolò d'Este. During the first half of the 16th century, San Martino in Rio was invaded by various armies. The resulting wars brought misery and the plague to the area. In 1768, after the extinction of the Duchy of Este, the territory was assigned first to Paolo d'Aragona and later to the French. San Martino in Rio was part of the Province of Modena from 1815 to 1859, and was one of the leading towns during the Italian Risorgimento movement. Currently, many manufacturers and artisans operate their businesses in San Martino in Rio.

Useful links