Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Art and culture / Churches, baptisteries / Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Reggiolo

Church of Santa Maria Assunta

Santa Maria Assunta, the parish church of Reggiolo, was built between 1855 and 1858, and is the religious masterpiece of the architect from Modena Cesare Costa, who also designed the Municipal theatre of Reggio Emilia.

Address and Contacts

Piazza Giovanni XXIII, 7 - 42046 Reggiolo
Phone 0039 0522.972120

Opening times

31.05.2012 - closed for consequences of earthquake

How to get there

Distance from Reggio Emilia: 29 km.
Distance from the Reggiolo-Rolo exit of the A22 motor-way: 5 km

From Reggio Emilia: Provincial Road SP 5 travelling in the direction of Novellara and Reggiolo.
Public Service transport

Historical Notes

This Corinthian style church, with one nave and two aisles, contains a mixture of elements typical of the work of the architect Cesare Costa, in a compromise between a Greek and a Latin cross layout.
The result is an imposing and harmonious interior, with a large central dome and two spacious side chapels. The 18th-century side chapel on the left is the only remaining part of the previous building, originally from the early 17th century, which was demolished before the present one was built.
In the presbytery there is a magnificent18th-century altar in inlaid marble that came from another church demolished in Guastalla.
The side chapel on the left, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, also has a splendid marble altar that had been in the original church. On the side walls of the chapel are two old marble portals. The side chapel on the right is dedicated to the Holy Crucifix and contains an altar and ancon in scagliola which was also in the original church.
The façade has a liturgical orientation and is bipartite with a raised central section culminating in a triangular pediment.
The side wings are joined to the main façade by a high moulded cornice, while the lower part of the façade is intersected by pilaster strips.
There are three entrances to the church. The main entrance is under a lunette and the side entrances under triangular tympanums.
The church has a fine external Baroque bell tower for which construction works started in 1700 and were completed eighty years later.
The church suffered serious damage as a result of the 1996 earthquake and is consequently no longer open as a place of worship.