Rivalta Realm

Far a few kilometres from the historical centre of Reggio Emilia, the Ducal Rivalta Realm is a XVIII-century building that can be considered one of the last "delizie Estensi" ("Estensi delights").

Information

Via dei Combattenti, 1 - 42123 Reggio nell'Emilia
Cellulare - Mobile +39 340 9775042 - Vice president of the Association "Insieme per Rivalta"
Sito web - Website Association "Insieme per Rivalta"
Facebook La Reggia di Rivalta

Opening times

On the occasion of events only.

How to get there

By car
Follow the indication to Rivalta, SS63.

By bus
Urban buses n. 5 or 6

Historical notes

Built from 1723 in the hamlet of Rivale for Francesco III d'Este and Carlotta d'Orléans, the villa was part of a larger system which also included the villa of Rivaltella and the "tub" of Corbelli. The project of this "Little Versailles" was entrusted first to the architect from Reggio Emilia GM Ferraroni and then to Bolognini (author of the Sala del Tricolore). The building was finished in 1733 while the park saw continuous successive embellishments. Between 1740 and 1760 the Royal Palace experienced its golden age, with grandiose celebrations that echoed the Parisian splendor.
In 1796 it was occupied by troops of the Napoleonic army in transit along the Po Valley. At the end of the occupation, the villa, stripped and damaged, was handed over to a committee of citizens who, around 1807, demolished some parts and converted the garden to agricultural use.
Today only the south wing remains, probably originally intended for servitude and completely less than the others destroyed, and the chapel, in ruins, incorporated into agricultural buildings. Crostolo, retained the fenced perimeter and an oval tub.
Statue of the numerous statues that adorned the gardens, many were destroyed, others removed and relocated to the Parco del Popolo in Reggio and two were placed on the sides of the San Pellegrino bridge over the Crostolo stream. The statue depicting was finally placed in the central Piazza Prampolini in the city, on top of the fountain that takes its name from it.
In 2005 the villa and garden were acquired by the Municipality of Reggio Emilia, which obtained the evaluation and recovery