Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Art and culture / Villas, historical residences and theatres in Reggio Emilia

Villas, historical residences and theatres

Reggio Emilia

Town Hall and Tricolour Flag Hall

The building has been the Town Hall since 1434. A date carved in a block of sandstone on the right-hand side of the arch in via Farini confirms that the building of the town hall site began in 1414. The portion facing the south side of the square was completed in 1417.

Town Hall and Tricolour Flag Hall - Read More…

San Giorgio Palace

Its origins date nack to XVIIIth century, when Jesuits aimed to establish a college; when the Jesuits were driven out (1773), the building passed to the Regular canons of S.S. Salvatore and was then used for public schools, Archives, Library and Offices. Today it is the site of "Panizzi" Municipal Library.

San Giorgio Palace - Read More…

Palazzo Magnani

The palace is an important exhibition site. It is located in Corso Garibaldi, once the place where the Crostolo stream flowed, in fact the eastern wall is made with stones coming from the ancient torrent.

Palazzo Magnani - Read More…

Palazzo da Mosto

It is one of most important mansions dating back to XIV century, which belonged to the ducal officer Francesco da Mosto.

Palazzo da Mosto - Read More…

Palazzo Ancini

At the beginning of the last century Palazzo Ancini was characterised by an austere brick façade divided into four storeys. The main entrance onto Via Farini was given greater emphasis by a rusticated wooden door under a balcony with shelf-like stone supports and wrought iron panels for the parapet.

Palazzo Ancini - Read More…

Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo

It was built in 1280 as headquarters of the municipal chief magistrate and was restored in the following centuries; inside the building, in 1515, the Cappello Rosso (Red Hat) inn was opened, now it hosts the Posta Hotel.

Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo - Read More…

Palazzo Salvador Allende, formerly Palazzo Ducale

The actual building “Palazzo Ducale” (Ducal Palace) appeared in its present form only at the end of the 18th century. Until this period, the block bordered by Corso della Ghiara, Via S. Pietro Martire and Via Berti constituted the convent of the nuns of S.Pietro Martire (founded in 1260); whereas the part between Corso della Ghiara and Via Liberata was composed of fragmented remains of medieval origin (terraced housing).

Palazzo Salvador Allende, formerly Palazzo Ducale - Read More…

Palazzo Fontanelli - Sacrati

In 1492 the Fontalelli brothers (Giovanni, Andrea and Jacopo) decided to build The new Porch and the facade over an older building bought from Da Correggio family in the 1451

Palazzo Fontanelli - Sacrati - Read More…

Palazzo Carmi

Headquarters of the State Archives.

Palazzo Carmi - Read More…

Palazzo Pratonieri

The XVI century building, former headquarter of the bank Cassa di Risparmio of Reggio Emilia, after great renovation works, is today a prestigious Unicredit bank branch.

Palazzo Pratonieri - Read More…

Palazzo Bussetti or Busetti

The palace was recently restored and from September, 2014 it houses a shopping centre.

Palazzo Bussetti or Busetti - Read More…

Palazzo Spalletti Trivelli (formerly Guicciardi)

Located on the corner of Via S. Nicolò, Palazzo Guicciardi is a small art treasure.

Palazzo Spalletti Trivelli (formerly Guicciardi) - Read More…

Palazzo Rocca Saporiti

Previously Casinazzo. The building structure dates from the late 16th century. One of its great rooms still retains a casson ceiling and a frieze painted by Reggio Emilia artists in the second half of the 16th century

Palazzo Rocca Saporiti - Read More…

Former Zucchi Barracks, head office of Modena and Reggio Emilia University

It is an ancient "Foro Boario": a place to contain the stock for food and the cattle market, it was committed in 1845 by Francesco IV Duke of Modena to the architect Marchelli; presently it is entitled to Giuseppe Dossetti and hosts the University.

Former Zucchi Barracks, head office of Modena and Reggio Emilia University - Read More…

Il Mauriziano - poet Ludovico Ariosto's summer residence

XV-century villa situated along the Via Emilia, towards Modena, whose distance from Reggio Emilia is km 3.

Il Mauriziano - poet Ludovico Ariosto's summer residence - Read More…

Rivalta Realm

Far a few kilometres from the historical centre of Reggio Emilia, the Ducal Rivalta Realm is a XVIII-century building that can be considered one of the last "delizie Estensi" ("Estensi delights").

Rivalta Realm - Read More…

Villa d'Este - Vasca di Corbelli

The palace and the pool were part of the great project of the Ducal Palace of Rivalta and its gardens.

Villa d'Este - Vasca di Corbelli - Read More…

Romolo Valli Municipal Theatre

The majestic theatre complex, surrounded by the public gardens, characterizes the town centre. It is situated in the town area once occupied by the ancient fortress and covers an area of 3,890 square metres. It hosts prestigious opera and concert seasons, as well as a rich programme of ballet. It contains a library, an archive room and a historical record library, all open to the public.

Romolo Valli Municipal Theatre - Read More…

Ariosto Theatre

Built between 1740 and 1741 on a design by Antonio Cugini and destroyed in 1851 by a fire, it was originally called the "Teatro di Cittadella" (the Cittadella Theatre) since it stood near the ancient defensive bulwark required by the Gonzaga family (at the end of 1339) during their rule of Reggio Emilia.

Ariosto Theatre - Read More…

Cesare Zavattini Theatre - Cavallerizza Theatre

It's the third theatre of the city for importance and overlooks Piazza della Vittoria, as the Ariosto Theatre

Cesare Zavattini Theatre - Cavallerizza Theatre - Read More…