Broletto

Originally cemetery of the Cathedral, today it's a characteristic place of the historical centre

Address and contacts

Galleria Broletto - 42121 Reggio nell'Emilia
GiraReggio

How to get there

The Broletto is in the town centre. See the map above.

Historical notes

An ancient cemetery area of the Cathedral, later a vegetable garden used by the canons; located on the right-hand side of the Cathedral, it was built in 1488, with the passage under the portico being made open to the public. Thanks to its vaguely oriental feeling, with the numerous shop windows and vendors' stalls, it's a place which naturally draws people there, inserted between "Piazza Grande" (Prampolini square) and "Piazza dei Leoni" (S. Prospero square). A side entrance under the Broletto gives access to the Cathedral; its portal, which was rebuilt in the 16th century, bears Romanesque style lions. The paintings on the Broletto vaults are also from the 16th century, depicting the "Madonna della Ghiara" and the "Madonna degli Angeli". It was restored in 1786.