St. George Church

The current building dates back to 1638 when it was decided to restore the old building whose origin dates back to 1146.

Address and contacts

via Farini - 42121 Reggio nell'Emilia

Opening times

Only during the celebrations of the greek catholic community of Ukraine

How to get there

The church is in the town centre. See the map above.

Historical notes

On the marble-made façade is a relief depicting St. George killing the dragon. The interior, with a Latin cross plan, is richly decorated. The beautiful altars Scaiola worked and Centora carved wood, are worthy of note.
The recent restoration has brought back to its outdoor splendor Baroque portal with high relief depicting the saint on horseback slaying the dragon with a spear.

The church of St. George is mentioned in a document dated 1146. In 1456 the building renovations take place, of modest size, by the Ruggeri family. In 1610 the building was assigned as a permanent seat, to the Jesuit Fathers, who had established a community with temporary headquarters in San Giacomo. Jesuits soon became a vital, not only for the religious life of the city; and the small church of St. George was no longer sufficient to contain the faithful who gathered for Mass, for retreats and spiritual exercises. From this moment for nearly a century, St. George will undergo continuous works, incessantly changing. It so mirrored the creativity of the Jesuit Order and the historical changes and social aspects of the city that surrounded the city. Between 1675 and 1678, the splendid bell tower, dome and the entrance portal were built , and are the most striking and characteristic elements of San Giorgio church. The facade of major proportions compared to the not-wide Farini street, is distinguished by rich portal with spirals, angels holding a scroll, and a relief of St. George slaying the dragon in the so-called road-table.
In the inside it has several works of art in a context of sobriety, typical of the Jesuit architectural style during Counter-Reformarion. The church with a single nave appears a single large space, like a classroom in which to listen and meditate on the word of God, listen to the sermons of popular Jesuit preachers and participate in the Eucharist. The architecturei is structured to focus faithfuls' attention on the high altar. On either side two rows of chapels, decorated with stucco and polychrome plaster frontals of rare beauty of the '600 / '700.
All paintings, except the ones from apse, were removed and kept in storage at the Civic Museums. The presbytery houses the silver plated wooden altar, which once was in the church of San Prospero. In the apse are paintings with scenes from life of St. George, and above entrance are the choir and the organ case in carved wood.
In May 2009 the restoration of the Chapel Pernicelli finished , reporting to its original splendor the altar with a frontal on a black ground. It is decorated with fine inlaid marble that reproduce animals and plant patterns attributed to the school Corbelli, native of Florence active in the second half oh the seventeenth century. The Pernicelli chapel is embellished by an altarpiece on wich are represented St. Ignatius and St. Francis Xavier adoring the Blessed Virgin of Ghiara, painted in 1640 by Alessandro Tiarini.