Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Art and culture / Churches, baptisteries in Reggio Emilia

Churches, baptisteries

Reggio Emilia

Cathedral

Romanesque construction built around 857; in the XV century the style of the cathedral was adapted to the architectural canons of the time.

Cathedral - Read More…

Baptistery

The Church of Saint John the Baptist is located in Piazza Prampolini, in the town centre, and its original foundation dates back to 1040 or 1049. The building is characterized by a Latin cross layout, at the centre of which you can find the baptismal font.

Baptistery - Read More…

Saint Prospero Church

Ancient church consecrated in 997 and dedicated to Bishop Prospero, proclaimed Holy Protector of the town. It was completely rebuilt in the XV century; the façade dates back to the XVI century.

Saint Prospero Church - Read More…

Basilica of the blessed Vergin of Ghiara

Church dedicated to the "Blessed Ghiara Virgin", after Marchino's miracle occurred in 1596

Basilica of the blessed Vergin of Ghiara - Read More…

Church of Santo Stefano

The second half of the XI century is the probable period of construction of the primitive Chruch of Santo Stefano

Church of Santo Stefano - Read More…

San Pietro Church

In a document of 1140, with which archbishop Gualterio confirms to the Canons the Cathedral of Reggio Emilia, it is possible to read that the San Pietro Church was located in the town suburbs, towards Modena (also named after SS. Pietro and Prospero).

San Pietro Church - Read More…

Sant' Agostino Church

It's an ancient church founded in VIII Century and renovated several times during the centuries. It houses one of the three paintings by Guercino, famous painter from Ferrara, present in town.

Sant' Agostino Church - Read More…

Saints Girolamo and Vitale Church

The church dedicated to the Saints Girolamo and Vitale, a fine example of late Baroque design, is certainly worth visiting.

Saints Girolamo and Vitale Church - Read More…

San Filippo Neri Church

It was built in 1672 and consecrated in 1743.

San Filippo Neri Church - Read More…

St. George Church

The current building dates back to 1638 when it was decided to restore the old building whose origin dates back to 1146.

St. George Church - Read More…

Church of San Giovanni Evangelista

Located in the small piazzetta di San Giovanni, is the church of the same name – more commonly known by its diminutive “San Giovannino”, with a stern façade in terracotta.

Church of San Giovanni Evangelista - Read More…

"Del Cristo" Church

Built as an oratory and subsequently transformed during the 18th century into a typical baroque church.

"Del Cristo" Church - Read More…

San Spiridione Oratory

It's an oratory of the XVIII Century located in the heart of the historical centre

San Spiridione Oratory - Read More…

S. Carlo and Agata Church

Currently deconsecrated, the church is frequently used for exhibitions and art performances.

S. Carlo and Agata Church - Read More…