Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Art and culture / Churches, baptisteries / Church of Madonna della Battaglia in Quattro Castella

Church of Madonna della Battaglia

In 1528 news spread of some miracles having taken place on the site where a little old church once stood.

Address and contacts

Strada Provinciale No. 78 dei Castelli - 42020 Quattro Castella - Locality Bergonzano
+39 0522 249211 - Municipality of Quattro Castella

How to get there

Situated in the hills of the Province of Reggio Emilia, this town is about 17 km. from the town of Reggio Emilia. Provincial Road 21, which runs through the entire territory, passing through the village of Puianello on the way to San Polo, divides the hill region from the plains.
A few minutes from the village of Bergonzano (following the road to the castles of Canossa and Rossena), you reach the small church of the Madonna della Battaglia.

Historical notes

As mentioned on the memorial stone dated 1971, the oratory commemorates the victory in 1092 of the armed troops of Matilda, Countess of Canossa against Henry IV, king of Italy and Germany, and Holy Roman Emperor.
Henry IV had attacked the castle of Canossa with the intention of defeating Matilda, as the staunch ally of the Pope. This fierce battle contributed to change the course of history since, as a result of his defeat, Henry IV was forced to abdicate in favour of his son Henry V.
The oratory of the Madonna della Battaglia (Our Lady of the Battle) appears in 18th-century documents as a “subsidium curae” of the church of Grassano. As the date inscribed on the façade shows, the oratory was rebuilt in 1724 on the foundations of the previous religious building. The inscription of the date 1868 can also be seen on the façade, possibly suggesting that further renovation or remodelling works were carried out during that year. The façade has a liturgical orientation and a simple structure following the lines of the sloping roof and a triangular pediment. The architrave portal has two oval windows and a central window above. There is a small bell-gable on the roof.