Pharmacy vases

Inside the Gonzaga Museum, piazzale Marconi 1, is kept a valuable collection of pharmacy vases from the ancient Jesuits' Workshop.

 

In 1570 the Jesuits, called by Count Camillo Gonzaga, opened an imposing pharmacy, where the medicines were produced by processing natural elements. The selection and conservation required a series of battery of vases, safe for the seal of the essences. The Jesuits purchased vases from famous Italian majolica workshops and, in over two centuries, they collected pieces of exceptional quality and value. With the suppression of the order, the vases reached the Municipality.
The Gonzaga Museum now houses over 160 pieces, beautifully decorated, often figured and linked by the monogram with the emblem of the name of Jesus. It is an artistic treasure source of information for the study of the history of the pharmacy.

In 1570 the Jesuits, called by Count Camillo Gonzaga, opened an imposing pharmacy, where the medicines were produced by processing natural elements. Their selection and conservation required a series of battery of vases, safe for the seal of the essences. The Jesuits purchased vases from famous Italian majolica workshops and, in over two centuries, they collected pieces of exceptional quality and value. After the suppression of the Jesuitic Order the vases were purchased by the Municipality.

The Gonzaga Museum now houses over 160 pieces, wonderfully decorated, often figured and linked by the monogram with the emblem of the name of Jesus. It is an artistic treasure source of information for the study of the history of pharmacy.