Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Art and culture / Churches, baptisteries / Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Fabbrico

Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta

The first mention of the parish church of Fabbrico dates to 772, included on a list of various holdings and churches that King Desiderio assigned in donation to his sister Anselperga.

Address and contacts

Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 5 - 42042 Fabbrico
+39 0522 665110 / 665279

Opening times

 

How to get there

See the indication to reach Fabbrico

Historical notes

The church appears with the title of Santa Maria Assunta di “Favrega,” dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption.
The same name was conserved for the second church of 1465 and for the third, the current one, of 1682-87. Both the first and second churches were situated at the centre of the ancient castle, where the chancel is now, according to ancient custom, and the façade was west-facing so that the priest could celebrate Mass facing eastward.
The second church was in Gothic style, while the current Baroque style of Santa Maria Assunta is from the 18th century, designed by the architect Girolamo Beltrami, a student of Vigarini.
The laying of the first stone dates to June 1682. Five years later, in 1687, the building was finished and inaugurated during the feast of San Genesio on 25th August.

The church has a single nave with three chapels on each side, pilasters or composite columns, paired, and a high trabeation with barrel vaults and with apse.
The chancel in engraved walnut was created by the Correggio artist Malaguzzi in 1725. The tabernacle is the work of Serafino Tencalla, and the marble holy-water stoup and small tables beside the main altar are by Giovanni Maria Folcatelli.
The frontals in scagliola of the various altars were created by priest Giovanni Massa from Modena (1660-1741), by Giovanni Pozzuoli and by others of the Carpi school, and are of particular artistic interest; the frontal of the main altar is admirable.
An eighteenth-century statue of the Madonna restored towards the end of the 20th century is situated in the old niche of the altar which in the past was called “Madonna del Castello,” as results from the frontal, at the centre of which an ancient castle serves as background to the figure of the Madonna.
In the apse, the painting of the Assumption of Mary dates to 1688 and is the work of painter Antonio Missoli from Ferrara, it is a copy of the Assumption by Caracci conserved in the Gallery in Dresda.
The painting of the Boy Jesus with San Giuseppe and San Francesco di Paola is the work of Correggio artist Girolamo Donnini (1681-1743), created in 1735 for the Rubini family of Fabbrico.
The painting of the first altar on the right facing the presbytery represents the apostle St. Bartholomew (Modenese school of the 17th century).
At the altar of the Santissimo, one can admire the painting depicting Mary Magdalene at the foot of the Cross, a work by Modenese painter Sigismondo Caula (17th century).
At the back on the left, a painting by Francesco Stringa (1635-1709) depicts the saints Girolamo and Antonio Abate.

Useful link

Holy mess times