Home / Discover the area / Art and culture / Villas, historical residences and theatres

Villas, historical residences and theatres

Reggio Emilia

Town Hall and Tricolour Flag Hall

The building has been the Town Hall since 1434. A date carved in a block of sandstone on the right-hand side of the arch in via Farini confirms that the building of the town hall site began in 1414. The portion facing the south side of the square was completed in 1417.

Town Hall and Tricolour Flag Hall - Read More…

Romolo Valli Municipal Theatre

The majestic theatre complex, surrounded by the public gardens, characterizes the town centre. It is situated in the town area once occupied by the ancient fortress and covers an area of 3,890 square metres. It hosts prestigious opera and concert seasons, as well as a rich programme of ballet. It contains a library, an archive room and a historical record library, all open to the public.

Romolo Valli Municipal Theatre - Read More…

Ariosto Theatre

Built between 1740 and 1741 on a design by Antonio Cugini and destroyed in 1851 by a fire, it was originally called the "Teatro di Cittadella" (the Cittadella Theatre) since it stood near the ancient defensive bulwark required by the Gonzaga family (at the end of 1339) during their rule of Reggio Emilia.

Ariosto Theatre - Read More…

Cesare Zavattini Theatre - Cavallerizza Theatre

It's the third theatre of the city for importance and overlooks Piazza della Vittoria, as the Ariosto Theatre

Cesare Zavattini Theatre - Cavallerizza Theatre - Read More…

Former Zucchi Barracks, head office of Modena and Reggio Emilia University

It is an ancient "Foro Boario": a place to contain the stock for food and the cattle market, it was committed in 1845 by Francesco IV Duke of Modena to the architect Marchelli; presently it is entitled to Giuseppe Dossetti and hosts the University.

Former Zucchi Barracks, head office of Modena and Reggio Emilia University - Read More…

San Giorgio Palace

Its origins date nack to XVIIIth century, when Jesuits aimed to establish a college; when the Jesuits were driven out (1773), the building passed to the Regular canons of S.S. Salvatore and was then used for public schools, Archives, Library and Offices. Today it is the site of "Panizzi" Municipal Library.

San Giorgio Palace - Read More…

Palazzo Magnani

The palace is an important exhibition site. It is located in Corso Garibaldi, once the place where the Crostolo stream flowed, in fact the eastern wall is made with stones coming from the ancient torrent.

Palazzo Magnani - Read More…

Palazzo da Mosto

It is one of most important mansions dating back to XIV century, which belonged to the ducal officer Francesco da Mosto.

Palazzo da Mosto - Read More…

Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo

It was built in 1280 as headquarters of the municipal chief magistrate and was restored in the following centuries; inside the building, in 1515, the Cappello Rosso (Red Hat) inn was opened, now it hosts the Posta Hotel.

Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo - Read More…

Palazzo Salvador Allende , formerly Palazzo Ducale

The actual building “Palazzo Ducale” (Ducal Palace) appeared in its present form only at the end of the 18th century. Until this period, the block bordered by Corso della Ghiara, Via S. Pietro Martire and Via Berti constituted the convent of the nuns of S.Pietro Martire (founded in 1260); whereas the part between Corso della Ghiara and Via Liberata was composed of fragmented remains of medieval origin (terraced housing).

Palazzo Salvador Allende , formerly Palazzo Ducale - Read More…

Palazzo Bussetti or Busetti

The palace was recently restored and from September, 2014 it houses a shopping centre.

Palazzo Bussetti or Busetti - Read More…

Palazzo Fontanelli - Sacrati

In 1492 the Fontalelli brothers (Giovanni, Andrea and Jacopo) decided to build The new Porch and the facade over an older building bought from Da Correggio family in the 1451

Palazzo Fontanelli - Sacrati - Read More…

Palazzo Ancini

At the beginning of the last century Palazzo Ancini was characterised by an austere brick façade divided into four storeys. The main entrance onto Via Farini was given greater emphasis by a rusticated wooden door under a balcony with shelf-like stone supports and wrought iron panels for the parapet.

Palazzo Ancini - Read More…

Palazzo Spalletti-Trivelli (formerly Guicciardi)

Located on the corner of via S. Nicolò, Palazzo Guicciardi is a small art treasure.

Palazzo Spalletti-Trivelli (formerly Guicciardi) - Read More…

Mauriziano - poet Ludovico Ariosto's summer residence

XV-century villa situated along the Via Emilia, towards Modena, whose distance from Reggio Emilia is km 3.

Mauriziano - poet Ludovico Ariosto's summer residence - Read More…

Palazzo Rocca Saporiti

Previously Casinazzo. The building structure dates from the late 16th century. One of its great rooms still retains a casson ceiling and a frieze painted by Reggio Emilia artists in the second half of the 16th century

Palazzo Rocca Saporiti - Read More…

Reggia of Rivalta

Far just few kilometres from the historical centre of Reggio Emilia, the Ducal Palace of Rivalta is a XVIII-century building which can be considered one of the last "delizie Estensi" ("Estensi delights").

Reggia of Rivalta - Read More…

Villa d'Este - Vasca di Corbelli

The palace and the pool were part of the great project of the Ducal Palace of Rivalta and its gardens.

Villa d'Este - Vasca di Corbelli - Read More…

Albinea

Villa Tarabini

Prestigious palace of the XVII Century, purchased by the Municipality between 2010 and 2011. It's located inside a superb park and it's the seat of several events and concerts en plain air. It hosts also the Municipal vinegar cellar.

Villa Tarabini - Read More…

Bagnolo in Piano

Gonzaga - Ilva Ligabue Municipal Theatre

Rectangular-drawing theatre with balcony and capacity of 300 seats.

Gonzaga - Ilva Ligabue Municipal Theatre - Read More…

Campagnola Emilia

Corte di San Bernardino

The Corte di San Bernardino (The Court of St. Bernardino) was already known in the 12th century by the name of Villa dei Reatini. It later became the property of the Augustoni family and in 1423, Bernardino of Siena, who preached in this area, was a guest here.

Corte di San Bernardino - Read More…

Casalgrande

Villa Spalletti

We have evidence that the villa already existed at the end of the 17th century.

Villa Spalletti - Read More…

Correggio

Town Hall

The building was converted to become the town hall in 1783, after having housed the Confraternity of St. Joseph Patriarch and subsequently, after 1724, the site of public schools.

Town Hall - Read More…

Istituto Bellelli

Nineteenth-century building whose façade, below the portico, holds ogive arches with fragments of tempera decorations from the 15th century.

Istituto Bellelli - Read More…

Cattini Palace (or Clock Palace)

In ancient times it was called “Bank of Reason”, or of “Community”, because justice was administered here.

Cattini Palace (or Clock Palace) - Read More…

Correggio Art Home

The Correggio Home was rebuilt in 1754-55 in the same area where was the original home of the Allegri family. T

Correggio Art Home - Read More…

Palazzo dei Principi

Important Renaissance palace that was built by order of Frances from Brandenburg and completed in 1507.

Palazzo dei Principi - Read More…

Fortified tower

Built in Art-Nouveau style at the beginning of the 20th century, it is an interesting example of industrial archaeology.

Fortified tower - Read More…

Palazzo Contarelli

Built in 1762, with an elegant architecture. It can be visited on request by contacting the school head office. The part of the building on Corso Mazzini is porticoed.

Palazzo Contarelli - Read More…

Villa Cottafavi

The villa, built on commission by the Honorable Vittorio Cottafavi, is a large complex comprising the manor-house and out-buildings surrounded by garden, including structures in neo-Romantic, neo-Renaissance, and Art Nouveau styles.

Villa Cottafavi - Read More…

Villa Taparelli

The villa rises at the end of an avenue that crosses a broad glade delimited by two rows of Lombardy poplars.

Villa Taparelli - Read More…

Asioli Theatre

The theatre is named for Correggio musician Bonifazio Asioli. The public theatre originated in Correggio in 1600 from the adaptation and reorganisation of the rooms of Palazzo Vecchio, prior residence of Nicolò da Correggio.

Asioli Theatre - Read More…

Gualtieri

Palazzo Greppi

The Palazzo was built by the Greppi family of Milan, who had received from the House of Este a large estate near Santa Vittoria (Gualtieri). The Palazzo is in the centre of the village.

Palazzo Greppi - Read More…

Social Theatre

The theatre is located inside the monumental complex of Palazzo Bentivoglio, big fortress-palace, built between the late XVI century and the early XVII century.

Social Theatre - Read More…

Palazzo Bentivoglio

The palace hosts the Documentary Museum, the Antonio Ligabue Museum Foundation and the Umberto Tirelli Donation. Sala di Icaro, the Chapel, Sala di Enea and Sala dei Falegnami are open to the public.

Palazzo Bentivoglio - Read More…

Guastalla

"Ruggero Ruggeri" Municipal Theatre

In 1670 Duke Ferdinando Gonzaga decided to build a theater in Piazza della Rocca: foundations were laid but building works never started.

"Ruggero Ruggeri" Municipal Theatre - Read More…

Ducal Palace

It is the most representative building of Guastalla and was for a long time the residence of the Gonzaga family. Today it houses many private and public offices.

Ducal Palace - Read More…

Montecchio Emilia

Vicedomini Cavezzi Palace

During the fifteenth century some residential buildings of nobility arose in the centre of Montecchio, among them Vicedomini Cavezzi Palace, located at the end of a medieval neighborhood.

Vicedomini Cavezzi Palace - Read More…

Novellara

THEATRE OF THE FORTRESS "Ferruccio Tagliavini"

The theatre, named after Ferruccio Tagliavini, is located inside the Rocca. It hosts prose seasons, concerts and cultural activities

THEATRE OF THE FORTRESS "Ferruccio Tagliavini" - Read More…

Poviglio

Villa Pallavicino

The 19th century-style building has a compact volume on a broad rectangular three-storey plan.

Villa Pallavicino - Read More…

Rio Saliceto

Municipal Theatre

The Teatro Comunale is known by the citizens of Rio Saliceto as the Cinema Teatro Montanari, after its first owner. The theatre was built during the first decade of the 1900s when Rio Saliceto, based on the ambitious urban plan of the engineer Pier Giacinto Terrachini, grew in terms of the number of public and private buildings constructed.

Municipal Theatre - Read More…

Palazzo Diamanti

The building was the head office of L’Enologica, the first Italian institution with an explicitly cooperative organisation that set itself to producing and selling wine.

Palazzo Diamanti - Read More…

Town Hall

Having received administrative autonomy in 1860, the seat of the local council – previously located in rooms in the rectory adapted to that use – was inaugurated on 23 October 1889.

Town Hall - Read More…

Rubiera

Palazzo Civico

The fifteenth-century Palazzo Civico now hosts the Municipal Library.

Palazzo Civico - Read More…

Palazzo Rainusso

Former convent of the 16th century transformed into a summer residence in the 18th century.

Palazzo Rainusso - Read More…

Palazzo Sacrati

XV-century noble palace; it now hosts the Town Council.

Palazzo Sacrati - Read More…

Herberia Theatre

Municipal theatre of the 20th century, late Art Nouveau style.

Herberia Theatre - Read More…

Scandiano

Casa Spallanzani

The most impressive façade on Via Magati is the birthplace of Lazzaro Spallanzani, known as Casa Spallanzani.

Casa Spallanzani - Read More…

Palazzo Municipale

The original urban establishment dates back to the XVI century. The present layout results from a building intervention that ended in 1912.

Palazzo Municipale - Read More…