Correggio

It is one of the largest and populous town in the Province after the chief town (Km. 18 from Reggio Emilia).

Information and contacts

Altitude: 31 m
Inhabitants: 25.931 updated to January 1, 2015
Post code: 42015
Patron saint: San Quirino (June, 4th)
Weekly market day: Wedenesday
+39 0522.631770 Tourist information Office
Municipality of Correggio

How to get there

By car: see the map above
By train: the closer railway station to Correggio are Reggio Emilia (about 20 km) and Carpi (about 7 Km)
By bus: from Piazzale Europa - Reggio Emilia, SETA bus n.82

Historical notes

Already inhabited during the Roman and Longobard periods, in the 11th century the small town was a feud of the family from which it took its name: the da Correggio family, who between the 14th and 15th centuries rivalled the Visconti and Este families, becoming also lords of Parma. Reduced to its original feudal status, in 1452 Correggio obtained the title of Countship and in 1599 was established as a city. Their court was the destination of poets and writers, such as the Ariosto, the Bembo, the Aretino, guests of the counts. In 1630 Siro, prince of Correggio, lost the feud which was consequently expropriated by the Duke of Modena, thereafter following the fate of his states. Famous people born in Correggio include Antonio Allegri (1489-1534), commonly referred to as "il Correggio", the musician Bonifazio Asioli (1769-1832) and, in this century, the sculptress Carmela Adani (1899-1965).
The "Palazzo dei Principi" (Princes' Palace), begun in 1507 under Francesca di Brandeburgo, widow of Count Borso, is Correggio's principal monument. Built to the design of Biagio Rossetti (the finely sculptured main door is of particular note), the rooms with caisson and lacunar ceilings hold the Civic Library and the Correggio archives which have been given a permanent place here after the latest restoration work in 1968. The well-endowed museum, recently refitted, contains twelve Flemish tapestries from the 16th century, precious paintings including works by Donnini, Asioli, Malatesta and most importantly the "Head of Christ" by Mantegna (1494). Alongside the palace is the recently restored neo-classic B. Asioli Theatre. Moving in the direction towards the centre of the town, is the Basilica di San Quirino, with a bell tower which had previously been the tower of a fourteenth century fortress, built between the first and the second half of the 16th century, possibly according to a Vignola design. Inside, there is a precious 15th century ivory relic. Nearby, in via Roma, is the Church of St. Francesco, built in 1470, subsequently modified and restored. It has a charming interior: three arched naves with sharp curves, with remains of late fifteenth century frescos. The exterior is harmonious and elegant, in terracotta, with engravings, rosettes and pilaster strips which are simple yet of great visual impact. Not far away is the church of St. Chiara (1666), built on models which recall the Borromini style. The church of St. Sebastiano is also interesting. Reference should also be made to the general layout of the city which, on the whole, has preserved the general characteristics of previous centuries, from the 16th to the 18th.

Useful links