Church of Santa Chiara

Built in 1666 in the Borrominian style, the church faces onto piazzetta delle Suore and can be visited.

Address and contacts

Piazzetta delle Suore (centro storico) - 42015 Correggio
Phone 0039 0522 692325 - Capuchine Clarissan Convent

How to get there

See the indication to reach Correggio

Historical notes

Built in 1666 in Borrominian style by the Confraternity of the Holy Trinity, the church today is the site (with adjacent convent) of the Capuchin Clarisse nuns. The oval-shaped interior is rich in statues and Baroque decorations. In 1740, the goods and the church of the Confraternity were expropriated by the Sisters of Santa Chiara who resided in the adjacent convent. The building was restored in the latter part of the 20th century. The façade, very simple and unadorned, has a pleasant curved face and tympanum crowning. The interior has a central plan with trabeation supported by paired columns and ionic capitals decorated with festoons. The upper part has niches with statues of Saints Augustine, Jerome, Gregory, and Ambrose. The church has a small, deep apse with barrel vaulted ceiling and two side altars. Behind the high altar, separated by a grate, the convent part begins. The most important restoration works were carried out in 1764, including all the stuccowork decoration after the 1996 earthquake.

Useful link

Holy mess times

 

 

Related content