Church of San Giuseppe

In 1567 the Dominicans began the construction of the church and the adjacent convent within the town walls.

Address and contacts

Via Bernieri - 42015 Correggio
Phone 0039 0522/631770 - Tourist information office

Opening times

The church is currently closed for restoration works

How to get there

See the indication to reach Correggio

Historical notes

The exterior of the church has a number of elements of considerable artistic interest, especially the two-tier façade with columns and niches.
The church’s bell tower stands to the west, tiled with “cotto” tiles. Its pinnacle was partially damaged in an earthquake in 1832.
As confirmed by a map of the town painted in oils in 1630, the church’s architectural appearance at that date was much the same as it is today.
This important spiritual centre, originally dedicated to St Domenico was re-dedicated to San Giuseppe Calasanzio (St Joseph Calasanctius) in 1783, following the abolition of the convent and the opening of the Piarist boarding school.
The façade has a two-tier design with columns and niches, surmounted by a large triangular pediment with two spiral pillars recalling renaissance compositional styles.
The floor plan is typical of the late mannerist style, consisting of a single nave with five chapels for each of the two sides, a short transept and a deep apse.
The interior is ornamented by altars in stucco, marble and fine plaster, preserving historical memories and a variety of interesting paintings ranging in date from the 15th to the 19th century.
The Church’s structure was further damaged as a result of the 1996 earthquake.
The original church was built in the 11th century and substantially modified in the 16th and 17th centuries. Its architectural style is Tuscan, adopting a basilica plan with a nave and two aisles. The inlaid wooden choir stalls behind the main altar are the work of the Brindani cabinet makers of Montecchio Emilia.

 

 

 

Related content