Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Tourist locations in Campagnola Emilia

Campagnola Emilia

In the central square is the eighteenth-century parish church, , outside the town is San Bernardino : a rural structure dating back to the era of Matilda.

Information and contacts

Altitude: 22 m
Inhabitants: 5.646 updated to December 1, 2018
Postal code: 42012
Patron Saints: SS. Gervasio e Protasio (June, 19th)
Hemlets: Cognento and Ponte Vettigano
Weekly market day: Saturday
+39 0522.750711 Municipality
Municipality of Campagnola Emilia

How to get there

By car:
From the exit Reggio Emilia of the A1 motor-way, take Provincial Road SP travelling in the direction of Reggiolo. Turn right at Novellara.
From the A22 motor-way, exit at Carpi and take the Provincial Road to Novellara.
By bus: from Piazzale Europa in Reggio Emilia, SETA public transport bus n. 43 o 95

Historical notes

The territory of Campagnola belonged to the Canossa family in the 11th century, and later became the property of the Da Correggio family, who ruled it from the 14th to the 17th century. The construction of a medieval village begun in Campagnola in 1621 by Siro d'Austria increased the importance of the area. Campagnola has an interesting 18th-century parish church dedicated to San Protasio and San Gervasio. Villa Conti-Cottafavi and Villa Barbanti are both located in the same town square as the parish church.

About 1.5 km. from the centre of Campagnola stands the Romanesque Church of San Andrea, which houses frescoes from the 15th century. The Campagnola Abbey is located in the northeast part of town. It is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and was founded in the 12th century. This was one of the most important abbeys in the territory of Reggio Emilia in that period, and was later associated with the Marola Monastery. All that is left today of the structure is a modest little chapel that was obtained from the right aisle of the church and placed on the interior of a rural farmstead.

Useful links

The territory of Campagnola belonged to the Canossa family in the 11th century, and later became the property of the Da Correggio family, who ruled it from the 14th to the 17th century. The construction of a medieval village begun in Campagnola in 1621 by Siro d'Austria increased the importance of the area. Campagnola has an interesting 18th-century parish church dedicated to San Protasio and San Gervasio. Villa Conti-Cottafavi and Villa Barbanti are both located in the same town square as the parish church.
About 1.5 km. from the centre of Campagnola stands the Romanesque Church of San Andrea, which houses frescoes from the 15th century. The Campagnola Abbey is located in the northeast part of town. It is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and was founded in the 12th century. This was one of the most important abbeys in the territory of Reggio Emilia in that period, and was later associated with the Marola Monastery. All that is left today of the structure is a modest little chapel that was obtained from the right aisle of the church and placed on the interior of a rural farmstead