Il Torrazzo

The Torazzo is the civic tower and symbol of the town.

Address

Piazza Garibaldi - Bagnolo in Piano
+39 0522 957411 - Municipality of Bagnolo in Piano

How to get there

See the indication to reach Bagnolo in Piano or see the map above

Historical notes

The Torazzo, or great tower, built to an unusual plan, dominates the square Garibaldi, and has become the symbol of the town. A baroque bell chamber surmounts the large, brick structure, last remaining vestige of the ancient castle of Bagnolo.
Building was begun on the fortifications in 1354 by the Gonzaga family, lords of Novellara and Bagnolo, but the stronghold was subsequently destroyed in 1702 during Spanish war of succession. In memory of castle's past glories, the new arcades running from Town Hall to the post office bear the name "Galleria della Rocca" (Fortress Gallery).